Re: [patch NetworkManager 0/6] add support for network team devices

Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 04:32:10PM CEST, dcbw redhat com wrote:
On Tue, 2013-07-16 at 10:53 +0200, Jiri Pirko wrote:
Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 08:22:27PM CEST, danw gnome org wrote:
On 07/14/2013 11:29 AM, Jiri Pirko wrote:
teamd config is non-trivial tree structure (JSON). At this point, there is
really no point to have NM to be aware of the teamd config structure.
Once NM will need that, this can be changed.

NM will need to be aware of it once we want to add support for team
connections to nm-connection-editor. We'll probably have to have some
sort of dual-mode interface, where if we recognize all the options, you
get a nice UI with translated strings and proper widgets and such, but
if you need to edit something NM doesn't know about, you can still edit
the JSON directly...

Yep. That is the plan for the future.

No function for that. Teamd will scream when you pass non-valid JSON to
it. Also will scream in case some configuration is not done correctly.
At this point, I would make NM non-aware at all of the config structure.
Just leave it as string and NM to blindly pass it through...

Same case as above; when the user creates a new team connection, we want
to be able to detect if the configuration is invalid before the user
saves the connection, rather than just accepting it at that point and
then telling them later that they messed up.

There's no way to do that other than to execute teamd with that
config...

Well, there is; we hardcode that verification logic into NetworkManager
and then we wait for some "libteam" to expose config verification
functions that we could use instead.

Well if you hardcore the verification and I add some option to the
config in teamd (which I often do), NM would wrongly tell the user that the
config is invalid.

Introducing such functionality in teamd (libteamd) would be non-trivial
because very often the options are runner-dependent or link-watch
dependent. In fact, I see really no point in doing that, since you get
the verification for free when you just "run" teamd with the config.

It's just really bad UI to accept random options that we know don't
work, and not tell the user that they won't work, but instead wait until
they try to start the interface and then say "oh no, something is
invalid!".

Dan