Re: emacs mode for NetworkManager-style indentation

On Fri, 2013-01-18 at 10:16 -0500, Dan Winship wrote:
> (I originally found this mode on EmacsWiki, but had to hack it up a
> bit... IIRC the original only let you enable it per-mode, not
> per-buffer? I forget... anyway, there's a link to the upstream in the
> source.)

FYI, I think this mode is being managed/updated on GitHub now:

https://github.com/jcsalomon/smarttabs

As someone having to work on a codebase relying on TABs for indentation,
I think the idea is brilliant but I do have a couple of issues with the
implementation.  I really wish this could be folded into Emacs CC mode
as a default behavior.

I also wish there was a way to use spaces for alignment within a
statement, not just for statement continuation.  For example if you're
writing a struct or something and you want to align the members:

I'd like the indentation <I> to use TABs, but the alignment <A> to use
spaces (when I press the TAB key).  I don't believe that's part of
smart-tabs today.