Re: Possibility to determine state of a connection

Am 13.02.2013 01:17, schrieb Dan Williams:
On Tue, 2013-02-12 at 21:18 +0100, Martin Steuer wrote:
I started using NetworkManager on a fresh installation of mine and
noticed a problem regarding PPPoE connections: When establishing a PPPoE
connection via ethernet an existing IP connection is disconnected. Thus
loosing IP connectivity on the local network.

This has been an issue for a long time in NM, and it needs to be
addressed in a more complete manner.  Basically, we need to run both the
original eth connection and the PPPoE one in parallel.  In reality, this
looks a lot like a VPN, and perhaps we should treat it as such.  Or,
really, it's just a tunnel like a VPN is a tunnel, and we should have a
more generic framework for handling tunnel interfaces.

Thats what I was thinking, VPN seems simliar in nature.

That would imply a change in behavior of NM as D-Bus clients would see
it, so perhaps this would have to wait a bit until we support multiple
VPN connections.  Which is something I'm happy to provide some guidance
on if anyone wants to work on it?

I'd be willing to invest some time, how involved would that be?

Dan
<snip>

Martin