Re: How can I obtain DHCP4Config, IP4Config of an active VPN connection?

On Fri, 2013-04-26 at 13:22 -0400, Pavel Simerda wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Nogen" <chrisnog inbox com>
To: networkmanager-list gnome org
Sent: Friday, April 26, 2013 5:44:07 PM
Subject: How can I obtain DHCP4Config, IP4Config of an active VPN connection?

Hi everyone,

I'm currently working with NetworkManager and python in order to connect to
my network company with a VPN.
The python script performs just simple actions like connect VPN through my
wired interface and then automatically configure my code to reach company
servers.

Everything worked properly until I wanted to grab DHCP4Config return by the
VPN server. Indeed, with a simple connection the way to track this
information is to get the device and then ask for those parameters.
Workflow:
1. [org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.Connection.Active] => [Properties] =>
[Devices]
2. [org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.Device] => [Properties] => [DHCP4Config,
IP4Config, ...]

But with a VPN connection, you cannot track the device because Network
Manager didn't add "tun" or "tap" device to the devices list.

Looks like a missing API. I think it warrants a bug report at http://bugzilla.gnome.org/, where the
possible solutions/additions should be discussed. Thank you for bringing this up as this may help us with
the upcoming architectural changes.

Yes, it is missing API, and a bug for it would be good.