Re: Trouble obtaining data usage with Pantech UML290

On 04/03/2013 03:50 PM, Nate Pleasant wrote:
On 04/03/2013 03:43 PM, Dan Williams wrote:
On Wed, 2013-04-03 at 14:05 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
On Tue, 2013-03-26 at 10:39 -0400, Nate Pleasant wrote:
I know this is not a feature that is currently impelemented into
ModemManager,
but I'm hoping that once we get this solved, we can work on getting it
added into
the project.

I'm running into an issue when trying to obtain from the Pantech UML290 the
current data usage on the Verizon network.  According to Verizon, you
can dial
a special number "#DATA" and then they will send a SMS message to the
Pantech
UML290 with the current network usage.  See these links for more details:

http://support.verizonwireless.com/clc/features/calling_features/number_features.html
http://news.verizonwireless.com/news/2011/07/pr2011-07-01d.html

The issue I have is I cannot dial "#DATA" using standard AT commands.  I can
use the ATD#777 and ATD*99***1# to establish a 3G and 4G network connection,
respectively; so I know that the UML290 responds to my AT commands
correctly.
However, when I try dialing "ATD#DATA", I immediately get an ERROR returned.
I've also tried establishing a network connection using the QMI
interface and
then dialing #DATA, but I get the same error.
Same here.  ATD#DATA returns ERROR.

I don't think the UML290 supports this feature via the AT port.
VZAccess requests data usage via the WMC port using command 0x56, which
I haven't gotten around to reverse engineering yet.  In fact, VZAccess
doesn't use the UML290's AT port at all, just QMI and WMC.  So you're
kinda out of luck here, at least controlling it with the AT port.
To clarify, it appears that if you send an SMS to the number
"900080004008" with the content "POUND_DATA", you'll get a reply back
with your data usage.  This is what VZAccess does using the WMC port and
proprietary WMC commands.  It works for SMS too though on /dev/ttyACM0.
Where the following says <ctl+z>, you do really want to hold down the
Ctrl key and hit the Z key; that's how AT+CMGS works in text mode.

AT+CMGF=1
OK
AT+CMGS="900080004008"
POUND_DATA<ctl+z>
+CMGS: 19809

OK

<wait 5 seconds>

AT+CMGL="ALL"
+CMGL: 4,"REC UNREAD","xxxxxxxxxx","13/04/03,14:37:15+00"
Est as of 04/03 2:49PM: Data Usage: 0.001GB.
+CMGL: 2,"STO SENT","900080004008","13/04/03,19:37:13+00"
POUND_DATA

OK

Dan

Dan,

Great find!  I'll do a USB sniff on my UML290 to see if the VZAccess
Manager sends the SMS to the same phone number.

Nate
Nathaniel J. Pleasant | Accelerated Concepts | Developer | 1-813-279-2557
www.acceleratedconcepts.com

Dan,

I confirmed with my UML290 that VZAccess is sending the POUND_DATA
command to the same number you listed.  It'd be interesting to find out
what that number is and if there are other numbers like it that Verizon
uses for various features; it's definitely not a regular US phone number.

Anyway, I'm now able to successfully get the current network usage from
Verizon by sending the appropriate SMS message.  Thanks again for all
your help!

As a side note, I'm also working with the new Verizon Pantech UML295
modem, which is turning out to be vastly different than the UML290.  You
can see the work I've done so far in the link below.

https://bitbucket.org/accelecon/modemmanager/wiki/PantechUML295