Re: failed to set IPv6 default route

On 09/23/2012 08:56 AM, Gene Czarcinski wrote:
I have been doing some work trying to improve IPv6 dhcp support in NetworkManager. This has involved a lot of (virtual) testing. One thing I began to notice is a lot of the following message appearing in syslog:

[nm-system.c:1121] nm_system_replace_default_ip6_route(): (p32p1): failed to set IPv6 default route: -7

The only way I have been able to get an IPv6 default route set is to use manual configuration and specify a gateway. Everything else seems to produce this message.

OK, is this a bug or is there something about configuration I do not understand?

My question concerning if this is a bug stands.

However, I have been playing around (marvelous what you can do with some qemu/kvm/libvirt virtual guests when you do not care if things get really screwed up). I thried using NetworkManager (the applet) to set a default route but nothing seemed to work except specifying the gateway when manually configuring IPv6.

I finally googled what appears to be (sort of) an answer. enter something like the following command line command:

ip -6 route add default via <fill_IPv6_address_of_'router'> dev eth0

With that, "ip -6 route' actually shows a good default and, even better, stuff starts to work.

IPv6 does not have a way of specifying a default route with dhp6 but, that does not mean that we can do something which will be "good enough" until those great folks in the IETF get things worked out.

We need something in the applet so that we can specify a default and then issue something like the above command.

Note: I may be wrong and this can be done in the applet and set correctly ... if so, some kind of doc or change to the applet is needed to make this capability clear.

Sort-of OT question: Why can't I specify additional name servers and search domains if I select IPV6 dhcp?

Gene