Re: __attribute__ ((cleanup) patch

On Fri, 2012-10-19 at 12:05 -0400, Pavel Simerda wrote:

> I, personally, was considering using some faster compiler for development.
> Pavel Tišnovský wrote an article about tcc and it might save me a lot of
> time waiting for compilation.

I doubt it, though it does depend on what kind of build you're doing.
For developer incremental builds (i.e. you haven't touched the
Makefiles, only modified .[ch] files), where you have a decently fast
machine (circa 2010+ CPU and hard disk), and a warm cache from a recent
build...you're talking about a ballpark possibility of going from 1.5
seconds to 1.3 I'd guess.  Just not worth it.

Also, from a quick inspection, tcc isn't going to speed up
g-ir-compiler, unfortunately one of the slower parts of the build (my
fault actually, but very hard to make faster).

And even if it's faster, how good is the DWARF generation?  Your build
may be even 10 seconds faster, but if you have to rebuild it when you
want to use GDB, that's not really a win.

Anyways if you come back to me and tell me that building with tcc is
useful for you, I bet I can gain back a substantial amount of the lost
speed (or more) by e.g. switching to nonrecursive automake.