Re: iptables rules

On Fri, 2012-03-09 at 21:41 -0300, José Queiroz wrote:
> In fact, you should plan your firewall policy a little better. You
> have two systems doing exactly the same thing. Is this really
> necessary?

Hi José,
My old laptop was stolen last year and it just had some iptables rules
set-up on it ages ago. After scrimping and saving for a few months I
managed to buy a new laptop and I thought I'd use something with a gui
interface and installed firestarter.
It flooded my logs with an average of one message/minute. So I started
reading up again about iptables and voila, it can use the ulog daemon.
So I put together a set of rules, etc. installed them and now everything
iptables drops is logged to /var/log/ulog/syslogemu.log and syslog, etc.
is back to "normal".
However, firestarter is still capturing one or two attempts each day
which means I need to fine tune "my" set of rules for iptables. Then I
can remove firestarter. An alternative would be for firestarter to load
only user defined rules or for it to use the ulog daemon.

Cheers,
Rob