Re: ZTE MF192 3G Modems

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 9:25 PM, Brian Gitonga Marete <marete toshnix com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have the same (or very similar) ZTE MF192 modem referred to by
> Dmitry Morozhnikov here:
> https://mail.gnome.org/archives/networkmanager-list/2012-February/msg00014.html
> My modem is supplied by Orange Kenya, for use in their Orange Internet
> 3G service.
>
> In summary, it also does NOT work for me with MM/NM out of the box.
> What is more, the patch suggested by Dmitry in the mail thread
> referenced above suffices at least establish an Internet connection
> that is fully usable.
>
> Wvdial works well with this MF192 device, and attached is my wvdial
> config as wvdial.conf. I have also attached wvdial.log, so that you
> can see what wvdial uses to successfully drive it.
>
> I was also able to capture a USB trace (using Wireshark) of windows
> driving the modem from within a Virtualbox VM. I think this will allow
> you to develop full support for this modem. The capture trace reflects
> all traffic to/from the modem from hotplug to a short time after I
> successfully "connect" from withing the Windows program. Please see
> the attachment zte-mf192.cap.xz for this captured trace. View it from
> Wireshark.
>
> Also attached are the files modem-manager.log and network-manager.log,
> showing the log of a failed connection attempt (before applying the
> patch referenced above). Please also see lsusb.txt for USB ID details
> about my modem.
>
> One last thing: I can confirm that, as in Dmitry case, the AT commands
> ZPAS? and ZSNT=1,0,0 do not seem to work on this modem. (And, in fact,
> I don't see them in the Windows trace (zte-mf192.cap.xz) which
> contains many AT commands to the modem.
>
> If I had a better idea about the structure/architecture of MM, I might
> be able to help better, with actual code :)
>
> Please let me know if you need any further information.
>
> Thanks!

Hello all,

I sent the above email a few days ago but I don't think it went
through on account of a large additional attachment.

That attachment (372K in size) contains a full USB capture trace of
the modem being successfully driven from Windows (everything from
Hotplug to connection), while running in a VM (captured using
Wireshark). It is clear from the trace that Windows uses PPP on it.
The device is 19d2:1517 initially and usb_modeswitch transforms it to
a device with ID 19d2:1519.

To whom do I send this USB capture trace, which should allow
development of complete support of this device?

I reiterate that Dmitry's patch works to establish a full and usable
internet connection.

I am happy to supply any further information, or to help in analysis
or debugging, even at fairly low levels.

Many thanks!

--
Brian Gitonga Marete
Toshnix Systems - http://toshnix.com