Re: how to get 3g modem back in managed state

On Fri, 2011-12-30 at 11:46 +0100, Eduard Hasenleithner wrote:
> 2011/12/30 José Queiroz <zekkerj gmail com>:
> > Try to SIGTERM modem-manager.
> >
> > sudo killall -TERM modem-manager
>
> This does not work for me. Is there no way to tell network-manager to
> manage a particular device again while keeping nm (and mm) running?

We need a bit more information here.  Does the device actually disappear
from the USB bus (ie, it crashes)?  When this happens check with lsusb
to see if it's still there or not.

If it is still there, we'll need some more detailed logs from
ModemManager.  I did notice that disconnecting the device failed, so it
would be good to figure out why that happened.  ie this line
specifically from the logs:

Dec 29 18:17:28 eeepc modem-manager[519]: <info>  Modem
/org/freedesktop/ModemManager/Modems/0: state changed (disconnecting
-> connected)

indicates that MM was not able to tell the modem to terminate the packet
connection successfully, and thus it has no choice but to assume you're
still connected.  A detailed MM debug  log would indicate which command
is failing there.  See:

http://live.gnome.org/NetworkManager/Debugging

for how to get that log.

> btw, is there a utility which allows to show all devices managed by
> network manager, and their state (over dbus)?

nm-tool or "nmcli dev"