Wireless connection dropping on IBM T60

Hello.

I have an IBM T60 with an Atheros chipset running Debian unstable, Gnome
3.2, Network Manager 0.9.2.0, and Linux kernel 3.1.8 (all Debian
packages).  I have noticed seemingly random disconnections of a stable
802.11a/bg wireless connection and then an immediate reconnect.  While
this can cause momentary pauses of SSH sessions, it seems to kill
streaming using Pulse Audio to a remote PA server within a few tens of
seconds.  The PA sink will not reappear until the link is renegotiated
it seems.

Rather than end the message here, I ask what can I do to help identify
the problem and then fixing it?  So far I have not built NM from Git but
will consider doing so if that makes the testing more relevant.

Of note I have experienced the same drop-outs on Ubuntu 11.0 and Linux
Mint 12 on this laptop.  I have also experienced that using Wicd results
in no wireless drop-outs on this hardware and software configuration.
It is not my intent to compare distributions or software, but to assist
in identifying the problem area and finding a fix.  Please let me know
what tests I can perform and what information I can provide.

The wired connection from this laptop does not suffer from the drop-outs
and I was able to stream for several hours using the wired connection.
I presume that indicates that something in the wireless stack is amiss.

Thanks!

- Nate >>