Re: NetworkManager and Suspend

On Fri, 2012-02-03 at 13:24 -0500, Bill Peck wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I finally updated some systems at home which now run NetworkManager by
> default, and I'm having trouble with Suspend/Resume and nfs mount home
> directories.  This used to work fine, but it seems that NetworkManager
> takes down the interface and that then blocks the suspend from
> continuing.  These systems are configured with static ip addresses.
>
> System is Fedora 16
> NetworkManager-0.9.2-1.fc16.i686
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?  I know I can simply disable
> NetworkManager but I wanted to see if there is a solution with it on.

At the moment I'm not sure there's a great solution; we're working on
having a "disconnecting" step that nfs scripts could then use to unmount
the share, but that's going to be bounded by a specific time to ensure
that nfs itself doesn't block the suspend.  In the end, remote
filesystems really, really need to be able to deal with network dropouts
like this (or if you trip over a cable or your WiFi craps out) so it's
somewhat surprising that the suspend would get blocked if the network
wasnt' available.  But NM can certainly be a better citizen here.