Re: What happens if there are two interfaces?

Pavel Simerda wrote:

>> So I attached TP-Link homeplugs to my laptop and the server.
>> As far as I can make out this works fine under Windows XP,
>> but is only partially successful under Fedora.
>
> Shouldn't the homeplug be just ordinary ethernet?

Yes, that is what I assume;
it is accessed through interface eth0 on my laptop.
So according to the theory that ethernet gets priority,
all packets should have gone through eth0.
But that is not what I found;
ifconfig showed that many packages had gone through
each interface, rather more through wlan0.

>> I also have a very cheap chinese WiFi-Repeater
>> which sends out a strong signal as seen by "iwlist scan",
>> but is not seen by NM under Fedora, as far as I can see.
>
> What you see in the scan, should be also accessible in NM.

Yes, thanks.
I see now that after right-clicking on the WiFi icon,
and going to "Network Management Settings",
when I click on "Add" and then "Scan",
the WiFi-Repeater is shown on the "map",
and when I click on this,
a new Network connection "WiFi-Repeater1" is set up,
with the information that this has never been used.

Bizarrely, after doing this
the WiFi repeater seems to have disappeared,
both from "iwlist scan" and the NM scanner.