Re: IPv6 default routes / NM vs. kernel autoconfig vs DHCP6

On 08/03/2012 05:33 PM, Dan Williams expounded in part:
That's correct, but at the time that bug was filed I did not know enough
about IPv6 configuration to suggest the correct course of action.  I now
know much more and realize that adding it back was a mistake.  We should
really deprecate that option and just alias it to "automatic".

DHCPv6-only without RAs is fundamentally broken.  Any valid
configuration needs RAs, if only for the default route.

One situation that ought to work IMHO (although ~1/2 of IPv6 experts disagree) is that DHCP6 should work in concert with routes that are not /64. For instance, RA provides a 2001:db8:1:2:3::1/80 default route, sets the M bit, and DHCP6 provides the address 2001:db8:1:2:3::1000. NM should be able to set the default route *and* apply the /80 prefix length to the DHCP6 address. This could get non-trivial when there are multiple routes provided by RA. NM must then find the route that matches the DHCP6 address to determine the correct prefix.

Note: the experts that disagree feel that all LANs should be /64 always forever, and prefixes should only be used in routers. I find it quite handy to be able to subnet the /64 provided by the ISP, and while I agree that ISPs should always forever allocate a minimum of /64 to end users, nevertheless endusers should be able to subnet that and still have workstations and devices work without manual configuration.