Re: Network-manager and VLAN

On Mon, 2012-07-30 at 18:30 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-07-27 at 08:56 -0400, Pavel Simerda wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > > Thanks for the answer, but as I said, I am using Ubuntu and do not
> > > have
> > > the rhel configuration scripts.
> > >
> > > I have finally managed to get a VLAN connection working with the
> > > following keyfile:
> > >
> > > [connection]
> > > id=VLAN1
> > > uuid=ed3b2385-9016-45c6-a277-fa7e5be8fe9d
> > > type=vlan
> > >
> > > [vlan]
> > > parent=eth0
> > > id=1
> > >
> > > [ipv6]
> > > method=auto
> > >
> > > [ipv4]
> > > method=auto
> >
> > Thanks for your example config file.
> >
> > > 1. There seems to be no autoconnect feature for VLAN connections. If
> > > insert the cable, nm does not automatically start the VLAN
> > > connection.
> > > For normal wired connections this works.
> >
> > Please file a bugreport at bugzilla.gnome.org.
>
> Yeah, would be good to have a bug to track this.  It *might* be the case
> that because eth0 isn't up when the auto-activation checks get run, that
> the VLAN gets disqualified for activation.  It also might be the case
> that we're missing a call to schedule_activate_check() in nm-policy.c
> when the VLAN device finally shows up, since NM may have to create the
> device on startup.  VLAN devices are only created automatically if a
> connection exists for them that has autoconnect=true, BTW.
>
> But a bug would be good to track this.

So I did test this yesterday with 0.9.6 git master and it works there;
I'm not aware of any recent changes to VLAN autoconnect so I'd expect it
to work in earlier versions as well.  What's supposed to happen is:

1) if a VLAN connection exists, and is autoconnect=true, and it's parent
interface exists, then the VLAN interface will be created and the
connection started [1]

2) if a VLAN connection exists, and is autoconnect=true, but the parent
interface does not yet exist, nothing will happen until the parent
interface appears, upon which (1) happens

3) if a VLAN connection exists, and is autoconnect=false, and its parent
interface exists, nothing will happen until the connection is manually
started by the user, at which point the VLAN interface will be created
and the connection started

Note that you do not need a carrier to *create* the VLAN interface.  A
carrier is only required to activate the VLAN connection.

So if that's not what's happening here, any chance we could
get /var/log/messages or wherever syslog directs NetworkManager's
output?

Dan