Re: "Wireless disabled in software"

Timothy Murphy wrote:

> I'm running NetworkManager 0.9.0-1.fc15 under Fedora-15
> with kernel 2.6.40-4.fc5.i686.PAE on a ThinkPad T63.
>
> When I hover over the NM icon in the panel I am told
> "Disconnected Wireless disabled in software".

OK, I found the problem was that NM had written
"WirelessEnabled=false" in /var/lib/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.state
for some reason;
and re-booting did not change this entry.

Also I noticed that /var/log/messages did contain an entry about this:
-----------------------------------
Sep 16 23:32:32 blanche NetworkManager[730]: <info>
  WiFi enabled by radio killswitch; disabled by state file

But how many people would know what the "state file" is?
(I certainly didn't.)
Why not say "by the file /var/lib/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.state"?

Also, could NM please stop saying "reason: 2";
if the reason is know why not tell us what it is!!

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net