Re: Display the network manager applet by command line

On 12/09/2011 23:29, Dan Williams wrote:
On Fri, 2011-09-09 at 08:01 +0200, Julien Briche wrote:
On 08/09/2011 19:39, Dan Williams wrote:
On Wed, 2011-09-07 at 08:51 +0200, Julien Briche wrote:
Hello,
I am currently working on a ubuntu 10.10 and using NetworkManager APplet
0.8.1.
I would like to display the network manager applet by a command line but
couldn't find any.
Actually, if I click on the network-manager applet icon on the panel,
the applet appears, but I want it to appear without clicking.
I tried any soft provided by network manager, and also tried to
dbus-monitor the appearance of the applet but nothing happens on
dbus-monitor on click.
Two considerations here.  First, if you're using the stock nm-applet,
you need to have a "notification area" applet on your panel, which is
what nm-applet embeds itself in.  Most desktops (Gnome, KDE, XFCE, etc)
have a notification area.

However, if you're using Ubuntu 10.10 or later, Ubuntu-specific
modifications to nm-applet make the applet present itself using the
generic menu indicator system (libindicator) and thus you have to have
something that provides that indicator interface that nm-applet can talk
to.

Assumign you  have the pre-requisites, you can simply type:

nm-applet&

and that will start nm-applet and return you to the command prompt.  Or
use your favorite login/session manager to simply
spawn /usr/bin/nm-applet and it should show up.

Dan

Hello,
thanks for your answer but it is not what I looked for.
Actually the nm-applet is running and I can see its icon in the
notification area (of gnome).
What I want to do is to see the panel with all the networks available
and all the options.
When I do type :

nm-applet&

, it ouputs:

   an instance of nm-applet is already running
Ah, so do you mean you want a command-line list of available networks,
or you'd like some mechanism to cause nm-applet to drop it's menu down
and show networks, or something else?

Dan

Hello,
Iin fact, I want a command line to cause nm-applet to drop it's menu down and show networks,
like when I click on the nm icon in the notification area
Julien