Re: Log messages for WWAN connectons?

On Thu, 2011-10-27 at 16:23 -0700, Mohan Sfo wrote:
> Hello all,
>

> [I am using the same card as Dan Williams. :-)]

I have many cards :)

> How do I enable extensive logging in NetworkManager?   Where are the
> log files?
>

> I am running into potential bugs in NetworkManager in the way it
> manages WWAN connections.  I am able to connect manually realiably
> via

Can you generally describe these issues?

> wvdial fine (after disabling  AT+CGDCONT=3). NetworkManager connect
> sometimes and fails sometimes.  The variable is due to bugginess of
> NetworkManager and the train moving. How do I enable extensive logging
> in NetworkManager?   I want to know what it tried and why it thinks
> the connect failed. Is is right that at some point NetworkManager
> relies on ttyACM0 device and pppd?  How do I see the ppp session and
> the CHAP messages?  I am happy to provide feedback to make
> NetworkManager reliable.

Most modem debugging output is provided by ModemManager.  You can follow
the directions here:

http://live.gnome.org/NetworkManager/Debugging

to get that output.  Look for the "Debugging 3G devices" part.

Note that the UML290 does not allow handoff between EVDO and LTE when
using the AT interface and PPP.  So what you're probably seeing is that
the device starts off connected to LTE, but then when you leave LTE
coverage range it cannot hand off to EVDO, and you get a disconnect.
This is a limitation of the device's AT/PPP handling and the real
solution is to reverse engineer it's "WMC" proprietary protocols and
write a raw IP kernel driver for the device's network interface.
Unfortunately there's simply no other way to get the device working
smoothly under Linux, and trying to make it work with hacks is simply to
fragile for now.

Dan