Re: PIN handling problem on Connect automatically

On Thu, 2011-10-27 at 06:25 +0100, Sérgio Basto wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-10-26 at 19:53 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> > On Wed, 2011-10-26 at 17:48 +0100, Sérgio Basto wrote:
> > > Hi, on my HUAWEI E1550 HSDPA usb stick,
> > >
> > > If I do automatically , I got always
> > > Oct 26 17:33:19 segulix modem-manager[1014]: <info>  (ttyUSB3) opening
> > > serial port...
> > > Oct 26 17:33:19 segulix modem-manager[1014]: Invalid error code: 500
> > > Oct 26 17:33:19 segulix modem-manager[1014]: Invalid error code: 303
> > >
> > > but now I checked, if I use PIN dialog that pop-up and go, very fast, to
> > > nm-applet to connect broad band , I got same error.
> > > If, I use PIN dialog  , to unlock modem , and wait a few seconds, I
> > > connect without problems .
> > > In short, we have to wait a few time (one or two seconds) after unlock
> > > modem, to connect.
> >
> > THis could be a quirk with your modem's firmware, any chance you can
> > grab verbose modem-manager debug logs as described here?
>
> sure
>

> > http://live.gnome.org/NetworkManager/Debugging
> >
> > under the "3G" section.  Basically, we need to see what your modem is
> > doing and how it's responding.  Some modems do need quirks and we could
> > add one for yours.  We'd also need to know what kind of  modem and what
> > model it is.
>
> HUAWEI E1550 HSDPA usb stick,

So what appears to be going on here is that obviously the modem isn't
unlocked when it's exported over D-Bus from MM.  NM sees the new modem
and tries to enable it, successfully sends the pin, gets a reply from
MM, and then tries to enable the modem.  It looks like a race between
modem-manager cleanup of the PIN unlock and NM trying to immediately
re-enable the modem after sending the PIN.  So yeah, a bug in
ModemManager, but probably best to work around it in NM for now.