Re: Persistent 3G connection fails, not sure why

Den 27. okt. 2011 08:29, skrev Dan Williams:
On Mon, 2011-10-17 at 09:49 -0400, David Pfeffer wrote:
I maintain a persistent 3G connection on a remote device using network
manager. However, every so often, the link fails and then does not
restart itself. I managed to identify an occurrence of this in my
syslog, but honestly I'm not really sure what I'm looking at. It seems
that the machine thinks the device has been unplugged, but there's no
corresponding log entry for it actually being unplugged.

ALmost seems like the modem crashed and reset itself.  What kind of
modem is this and what model?

I'm having a similar issue on my Thinkpad Edge 13 with the built in Gobi 2000 WWAN module. Though, my "connection terminated" happens after the "modem hangup", and it seems to happen very sudden according to the syslog[1] (last entry in the log was several minutes earlier).

I found a bug report[2] a while back that /could/ be related but I joined this list in search for answers. Another bug report[3] contains a possible patch, but according to the person submitting it, it didn't really work that well:

I found afterwards that the patch fixed only
partially the problem. I saved a log message "<info> disconnect
failed: (32) The serial port is not open." that eventually happened,
hoping to further research about the issue later. However, I didn't
immediately found a way to reproduce the bug in a controlled
environment. What I was doing for testing the patch before was to kill
pppd, trying to simulate a modem hangup, but it didn't appear to
simulate this other condition I was observing. After that I nearly
stopped using USB modems as I bought an Android mobile phone capable
of tethering.

Hoping someone could help because I'm getting pretty sick of it.

[1]: http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/720446/
[2]: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/789508
[3]: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/566812

--