permissions and connection editor

Dear All,

Since my troubles with nm-connection-editor continued, I decided to remove
and install again all of gnome, consolekit, keyring, and
policykit. However, the problems remain.

1. I cannot add wireless connections, as non-root, if they have any kind
of security. The "Save" box is greyed, and I get repeated messages saying

** (nm-connection-editor:22077): WARNING **: Invalid setting Wireless Security: Invalid wireless security

2. If I try to access one of the available wireless networks, and enter
the authentication info (e.g., CA certificate, password, etc) then I get a
box asking for the root password.

However, when I enter the root password, it stays there for a long time,
and eventually I get a message saying "You are not allowed to modify the
system configuration" and "An error occurred while checking for
authorizations: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the
remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy
blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection
was broken.  You may report this as a bug."

Error 2. also happens if I try to, say, access any system-wide
configuration that require root access (e.g., services).

So I am not sure where the error is, nor what can I do, since I have
reinstalled everything (after purging configuration files). I am using
Debian, and here are some of the relevant packages. (Note, though, that
gnome-keyring seems to work, at least with other programs).

network-manager                                 0.9.0-2
network-manager-gnome                           0.9.0-4
policykit-1                                     0.102-1
policykit-1-gnome                               0.104-1
consolekit					0.4.5-1
gnome-keyring                                   3.0.3-2
libgnome-keyring0                               3.2.0-3
libpam-gnome-keyring                            3.0.3-2
python-gnomekeyring                             2.32.0-4

Thanks,

R.

--
Ramon Diaz-Uriarte
Department of Biochemistry

http://ligarto.org/rdiaz

Temporarily at:
Structural Biology and Biocomputing Programme
Spanish National Cancer Centre (CNIO)

Phone: +34-91-732-8000 ext. 3019
Fax: +-34-91-224-6972