Re: Ad-hoc network: cannot ping other machine

I was just excited to successfully create an ad-hoc network between
two Linux machines at all, even if ICS wasn't enabled. It is so easy
with Windows. Wireless networking with Linux has been a headache for
me.

But anyway, I tried creating an internet connection sharing setup, and
NetworkManager will not connect to the network I'm trying to create.
Here's the setup:

[Wireless]
SSID: share
Mode: Ad-hoc
Band: b/g
Channel: 10
BSSID: <blank>
Restrict to Interface: Any
Cloned MAC Address: <blank>
MTU: Automatic

[Wireless Security]
Security: None

[IPv4 Address]
Method: Shared
"IPv4 is required for this connection" checkbox is selected

[IPv6 Address]
Method: Disabled

/etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf
[main]
plugins=ifnet,keyfile

[ifnet]
managed=true
auto_refresh=false

Fortunately, the created connection appears in the GUI (there is often
a problem with created connections not appearing in the GUI), and I
click on it. The status says "Configuring interface" for a few seconds
then "Setting network address for just a moment" and then goes back to
"Not connected."

To try to get some feedback, I ran dmesg. The first time shows:
[  133.491149] wlan0: Trigger new scan to find an IBSS to join
[  137.008034] wlan0: Trigger new scan to find an IBSS to join
[  141.008084] wlan0: Trigger new scan to find an IBSS to join
[  142.299155] wlan0: Creating new IBSS network, BSSID 12:e3:2c:72:57:15
[  144.242036] wlan0: no IPv6 routers present

Subsequent attempts have the same message but omit "no IPv6 routers
present" and a different BSSID.

I also ran avahi-daemon from a root console and tried to connect. Upon
starting it, I get
localhost patrick # avahi-daemon
Process 5268 died: No such process; trying to remove PID file.
(/var/run/avahi-daemon//pid)
Found user 'avahi' (UID 103) and group 'avahi' (GID 1009).
Successfully dropped root privileges.
avahi-daemon 0.6.30 starting up.
Successfully called chroot().
Successfully dropped remaining capabilities.
System host name is set to 'localhost'. This is not a suitable mDNS
host name, looking for alternatives.
Joining mDNS multicast group on interface wlan0.IPv6 with address
fe80::211:50ff:fef5:592f.
New relevant interface wlan0.IPv6 for mDNS.
Joining mDNS multicast group on interface eth0.IPv6 with address
fe80::211:95ff:fefd:cbd9.
New relevant interface eth0.IPv6 for mDNS.
Network interface enumeration completed.
Registering new address record for fe80::211:50ff:fef5:592f on wlan0.*.
Registering new address record for fe80::211:95ff:fefd:cbd9 on eth0.*.
Registering HINFO record with values 'I686'/'LINUX'.
Server startup complete. Host name is linux.local. Local service
cookie is 3616907344.
Service "linux" (/services/ssh.service) successfully established.
Service "linux" (/services/sftp-ssh.service) successfully established.

Then after attempting to create the ICS network avahi-daemon reports:
Joining mDNS multicast group on interface wlan0.IPv4 with address 10.42.43.1.
New relevant interface wlan0.IPv4 for mDNS.
Registering new address record for 10.42.43.1 on wlan0.IPv4.
Withdrawing address record for 10.42.43.1 on wlan0.
Leaving mDNS multicast group on interface wlan0.IPv4 with address 10.42.43.1.
Interface wlan0.IPv4 no longer relevant for mDNS.

Why is it that when I create a normal ad-hoc network, it creates an IP
address of 169.254.x.x but always tries to create an IP of 10.42.43.1
when attempting ICS? Could that be part of the problem?

Anyway, I hope this helps. If you can get ICS working for me I could kiss you.

P.S. I'm currently running kernel 3.0.6 and I'm using dhcpcd with
zeroconf support through Avahi enabled. My wireless card in the
desktop in a Belkin PCI card with a Broadcom 4318 chipset. I'm using
the kernel's b43 driver with Broadcom's wl firmware.