Re: MM and NM release strategy questions

On Tue, 2011-10-04 at 17:01 +0200, Thomas Bechtold wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
> i want to know if it's possible to release a new ModemManager version
> (0.5.1 or 0.6) before the new API will be merged into master and before
> gdbus will be used.

0.5.x will always use the old API and won't use gdbus.  Right now most
patches are applicable both to 0.5 and git master, so I make an effort
to apply patches to both branches.  0.5.x will continue on as it is,
until we get git master/0.6 in shape and out for a few releases.  Think
of it as stable == 0.5 / development == git master for the forseeable
future.

> The reasons for a new version are:
> - users of debian squeeze,ubuntu 10.04 and maybe other distributions
> have glib-2.24, but gdbus needs >=2.26.
> - users of NetworkManager 0.8.x will not be able to use a new
> ModemManager version because of the new API (or will the new API be
> implemented in NM 0.8?)

Right, I'd imagine we continue to support MM 0.5.x for a while.

> What about NetworkManager 0.9? Will NM support the old _and_ the new MM
> API or only the new one?

I'd like to support both old and new MM with NM 0.9, given that 0.9 is
already out and we don't typically require major new versions of
dependencies during a major release cycle in NM.  However, I'd imagine
NM 1.0 will require MM 0.6 and the new API.