Re: Network manager not handling interfaces

On Thu, 2011-11-17 at 09:25 -0500, Githin Alapatt wrote:
> I recently upgraded from lenny to squeeze. I used to manage my
> networks using the gnome applet.
>
> In the new installation, network manager fails to show up any of my
> network device. I made sure that the interfaces are not listed in
> /etc/network/interface (I commented them out). Still the network
> manager fails to show any device (eth0 and wlan0)
>
> I can use eth0 by configuring it with the /etc/network/interface. That
> works fine.  But, I would like to use the network manager, whenever I
> need to use my laptop on an wi-fi connection.
>
> What else could be wrong?

These two  lines are the problem:

Nov 17 23:40:15 debian-githin NetworkManager[3085]: <warn> /sys/class/net/eth0: couldn't determine device driver; ignoring...
Nov 17 23:40:15 debian-githin NetworkManager[3085]: <warn> /sys/class/net/wlan0: couldn't determine device driver; ignoring...

This indicates a problem with either udev or that the kernel network
drivers you're using are buggy.  What kinds of devices are the ethernet
card and the wifi card?  One thing you can do to figure it out is:

udevadm info --query=all --attribute-walk --path=/sys/class/net/eth0
udevadm info --query=all --attribute-walk --path=/sys/class/net/wlan0

and reply with the results.