Adding connections via D-Bus is not (yet) supported

I'm trying to add a new connection to NetworkManager using d-bus so that my embedded Linux system can connect to a wireless network to which it receives credentials.  I've been trying to use AddConnection on the org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerSettings interface of /org/freedesktop/NetworkManagerSettings, on the org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerUserSettings bus, but I get the following error:

org.freedesktop.DBus.GLib.UnmappedError.Org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerSettings.AddFailed.Code0: add_connection: adding connections via D-Bus is not (yet) supported

I'm using NetworkManager 0.8.4 on Ubuntu 11.04.

Can anyone shed any light on this error?  Does a more recent NetworkManager support this, or am I'm trying to go about this the wrong way?

Neil
--
Neil Durant
neildurant gmail com