Re: ANN: Release of NetworkManager 0.8.996 (0.9.0-beta2)

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 7:13 PM, Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-05-08 at 22:07 +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
>> Hi Dan,

>> > Yeah, Sugar would need a patch.  The first part (porting to NM 0.9 for
>> > status information) is pretty easy, the second part where Sugar acts as
>> > an applet is harder, but actually might be fairly simple with NM 0.9.
>> > It's been in the back of my mind for a while, but I haven't gotten
>> > around to doing a proof-of-concept even though I wrote a lot of the
>> > original code for it 5 years ago :)
>>
>> I've done the first hack up of a patch (attached) for NM 0.9. Not sure
>> if it works as I've not got a wifi based F-15 with me at the moment.
>> I'll test it more when I get home from RH summit in the next couple of
>> days. In the mean time is it possible for you to provide some feedback
>> and advise.
>>
>> I'm mostly trying to focus on connection status and wired/wireless
>> ethernet initially although I've changed some of the GSM based stuff.
>> I'm not sure if I've got the GSM/Serial -> Modem changes correct.
>>
>> Also I'm not sure if I've got the NM_ACTIVE_CONNECTION_STATE* bits
>> correct as the .h file upstream only has a 0 error code where the
>> Sugar stuff had numbers for each state.
>>
>>  I've looked at a number of patches but I'm not sure if I've got it
>> all right and I might have confused bits of the compat API too. :-/
>
> Sorry I hadn't gotten around to looking at the Sugar bits yet, but I'll
> happily review what you've got so far.

I've done minor testing in a VM and it had issues with the move from
UserSettings to the new system settings. Would love some help with
that and it would be awesome if we could get something that would work
for basic wifi into f15.

Cheers,
Peter