Re: Support for ADSL modems

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 11:18 PM, Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> wrote:
> I personally have some random Zoom ueagle III based device, so I can at
> least help test the carrier stuff and device detection.

Cool, thanks :) For now I have a problem in the device detection path, it seems
NetworkManager needs an interface index otherwise it refuses to enable the
device. I can't find an interface index number for my ueagle-atm0 interface
so for now I have a hack that returns a fake one, but this will need to be fixed
in a better way.

> They are actually pretty stable at this point, though the change in the
> D-Bus API may cause you some issues.  But as code churn goes we're
> almost ready for a release of 0.9 so it's not going to change much.
> That said, I'd expect the work on either 0.8.x or 0.9 to port back and
> forth without much of a problem since those bits of the code haven't
> changed much.

Great, this has been my assessment as well :)

>> Are there instructions for how to install the git versions of
>> NetworkManager/nm-applet
>> in parallel with the system-provided ones (e.g., under /opt) so that
>> one can experiment
>> with them without breaking existing networking functionality?

> Not really, you can certainly install the binaries and libraries into a
> different prefix (configure with --prefix, --libdir, --localstatedir, as
> appropriate) but of course you cannot run old NM + new NM at the same
> time because they would try to manage the same devices, plus the bus
> name is the same.  But it may work to just kill the old one and start
> the new one.

Ok, I made a blog post on the procedure I used myself under ubuntu
(it may look a little complex with the dpkg-diverts and all but this way
I can develop on my regular laptop, the security updates can modify
any of the files in the system-version of NM without problem and
I can script switching between the 2 versions of NM and the applet
without problem.

http://polytechnitis.blogspot.com/2011/05/compiling-latest-versions-of.html

> Let me know how things go, great to hear you're working on this.

Great, I will try to push code somewhere soonish.

Cheers,
Pantelis