Re: WLAN disabled by state file

On Mon, 2011-03-07 at 19:02 +0200, Ozan Çağlayan wrote:
> On 07.03.2011 19:01, Dan Williams wrote:
>
> > That message can only come from a user applet property set request from
> > D-Bus.
>
> Actually this came to my mind right after posting the e-mail. It is the
> new KDE4 applet. Should I blame it for this problem?

Possibly.  Here's what *might* be going on...  usually GUI tools will
hook a UI element like a checkbox up to a property so that the checkbox
automatically updates when that property changes.  In the case of the
WiFi Enabled property, that's clearly the right thing to do as other
tools besides the applet could toggle that property without the applet's
knowledge, but the applet must still reflect the current state as
provided by NetworkManager.

But the applet must also respond to *user* initiated changes to that
checkbox as well.  Usually that happens when the applet attaches to the
signal/slot that indicates the checkbox has been toggled, and upon
receipt of that signal it tells NM to enable/disable wifi.  But if the
code also toggles the checkbox as a result of NM sending a
property-changed signal, that could result in the NM change signal
toggling the checkbox, which the applet interprets as the user clicking
on the checkbox, which the applet then handles by telling NM to
explicitly enable/disable wireless.

Basically, the applet should never update NM's user wifi state based on
signals from NM, or from NM's wifi hardware enabled state.