Re: Display nm-secure-lock in appet if wlan is secure

On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 2:26 PM, Goldstein <goldstein451 gmail com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm new to the list. Sorry if this kind of message is not appropriate.
>
> The thing is that I find it a bit annoying that nm applet does not show the
> nm-secure-lock icon on top of the nm-signal-XX icon when I'm connected to a
> secure wlan network. I connect to may different wlans on a daily basis. In
> some of them my packets are transmitted encrypted, in some others are
> transmitted in the clear, and it would be great to have a visual aid to
> remind me to which kind of wlan I'm connected to (so I don't, for example,
> check my email using POP3).
>
> I wanted to provide a proper patch for the issue but I haven't been able to
> compile nm from the sources. However, I attach an incomplete and untested
> patch, that maybe one of you guys can use. Do you think something like this
> could be implemented in trunk?

IMHO, independent of the usefulness of the patch, you should really use
application level encryption (ssh, https, pop3s) for transfer of data you
consider sensitive. Even in the case of an encrypted wireless link, it is
far from impossible that someone is sniffing the traffic at the router
or even ISP.

What's more, there is no guarantee that these logs are not persistent,
which means a lot of people might look and search them.

Again, the above is independent of the potential value ot the patch itself.

Cheers,
Pantelis