How to Test NetworkManager 0.9

Hi,

My ultimate goal is to test KDE's NetworkManager client which is now
being developed for NM 0.9. I fetched NM's git code and compiled and
installed the master branch over the binaries that my distro has for
NM which is version 0.8.2. At that point, I have no KDE NetworkManager
installed. I then run nm-tool and I can't see any available wireless
network. Am I missing any step to get NM 0.9 working? I'm not even
sure if I should be able to list available wireless networks without
installing KDE's Network Management code, should I?

Thanks.

David E. Narvaez