Re: ModemManager: new 'cinterion' plugin and more support for RS232 modems

> > Finished developing a new 'cinterion' plugin for Cinterion/Siemens-based
> > modems (see [1]).
> >
> > This development is ready for review in the 'plugin-cinterion' branch in
> > the following Gitorious repository [2]:
> >    git://gitorious.org/lanedo/modemmanager.git
> >

> > The branch is based on the 'protect-callbacks' branch (already reported
> > in another email, see [3]) and organized in 4 different chunks:
> >
> >  (a) 9057514..85ac24b (4 commits): Generic fixes in the core codebase,
> > including new properties in the generic GSM object to enable plugins use
> > their own CMER, CNMI and CPMS commands.
> >
> >  (b) 4cbb9df..d0f81d5 (8 commits): New plugin with support for
> > Cinterion/Siemens USB modems.
> >
> >  (c) 8d42b58..09b5ff9 (6 commits): Additional generic support for RS232
> > modems, including:
> >    * Vendor ID and product ID retrieval during AT port probing (already
> > discussed before in the mailing list, see [4]).
> >    * Allow plugins to request being sorted last in the list of plugins,
> > so that plugins which may handle RS232 modems are the last ones being
> > tested (they are not based only on udev's vendor-id check, so they
> > always launch AT port probing if no other plugin took the probing step
> > before).
> >    * New ScanDevices() method in ModemManager object in D-Bus, to
> > request a new re-scan of all non-grabbed ports. RS232 modems are not
> > detected automagically as there is no udev event notifying they were
> > connected, so a system wanting to use RS232 modems should be able to
> > request a port re-scan to look for newly connected modems.
>
> What would call this?  Userspace tools or udev scripts or something?

Well, depends really. I don't expect nm-applet to have a "re-scan"
option, although it may be useful sometimes even for non-RS232 modems,
when wanting to restart checking support after a probe fail.

In general, an application which expects the RS232 connection to be
setup, could trigger the re-scans when the modem has not been detected.

--
Aleksander