Re: Problems with new dbus wpa_supplicant api

On Tue, 2011-02-08 at 18:05 +0100, Harald Jung wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the networkmanager i've built from the current git isn't able to get the
> aviable access points via the new wpa_supplicant api (0.7.3).
>
> The scan request is initiated via dbus, but i think it doesn't listen for dbus
> events from wpa_supplicant.
>
> dbus: fi.w1.wpa_supplicant1.Interface.Scan
> (/fi/w1/wpa_supplicant1/Interfaces/1)
> dbus: flush_object_timeout_handler: Timeout - sending changed properties of
> object /fi/w1/wpa_supplicant1/Interfaces/1
>
> Has anyone an idea about that problem?

The implementation in NM relies on a patch in the supplicant here:

http://w1.fi/gitweb/gitweb.cgi?p=hostap-07.git;a=commit;h=b80b5639935d37b95d00f86b57f2844a9c775f57

which was a bug in the original new dbus API implementation. That patch
sends out signals when the BSS list changes, so that NM does not have to
poll for those changes, which is  much more efficient.  Unfortunately
there hasn't been a wpa_supplicant release with that patch yet.  We
could poke Jouni to make one though.