wlan0: device not ready

Hi there,

I've already spent some hours trying to found what's the problem, but
now I really need some hints.

I've a WLAN on this laptop (iwlagn) which used to work fine with a
2.6.32 Linux kernel (Debian). I've now upgraded to a 2.6.37 kernel, and
NM does not want to let me connect my wlan0 device.

The device works fine with wireless-tools (iwlist/iwconfig/ifconfig) and
I do see networks with these. However, nmcli says:

% nmcli dev
DEVICE     TYPE              STATE
eth0       802-3-ethernet    connected
wlan0      802-11-wireless   unavailable

It does not seems like a rfkill problem since:
5: phy0: Wireless LAN
	Soft blocked: no
	Hard blocked: no
10: hci0: Bluetooth
	Soft blocked: no
	Hard blocked: no

I've set logging to debug with all domains, and what I got with latest
NM from git is:

<info> WiFi enabled by radio killswitch; enabled by state file
<info> WWAN enabled by radio killswitch; enabled by state file
<info> WiMAX enabled by radio killswitch; enabled by state file
<info> (wlan0): driver supports SSID scans (scan_capa 0x01).
<info> (wlan0): new 802.11 WiFi device (driver: 'iwlagn' ifindex: 3)
<info> (wlan0): exported as /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Devices/1
<info> (wlan0): now managed
<info> (wlan0): device state change: 1 -> 2 (reason 2)
<info> (wlan0): bringing up device.
<info> (wlan0): preparing device.
<info> (wlan0): deactivating device (reason: 2).
<info> (wlan0): supplicant interface state: starting -> init

  (then it connects with eth0, but that's not the issue, eth0 with NM
  works fine)

Then it never talks about wlan0 anymore, so it seems to stay stucked at
that supplicant init state.

I looked quickly at the code, but the last line is printed by a callback
and I'm not sure where the original signal is emitted. So any hint
welcome, I know how to use gdb if that might help. :)

--
Julien Danjou
❱ http://julien.danjou.info