nm-applet icon in gnome-shell goes to gnome2/fallback mode

Hi all,

While trying to debug Debian bug#636137 (or Fedora/Redhat bug#713006) I compiled and installed network-manager
from git and also from debian's experimental source.

After sort of finding the culprit for the bug (put some notes on both bugtrack), I resort back to the original network-manager* packages from Debian's experimental.

But after restarting my laptop, I found out that nm-applet icons has change back to gnome2-style icons. No more white-icon-with-black-background gnome-shell style.

Tried many things like reinstalling network-manager*, purging and install, restarting dbus, restarting system along the way, with no luck. The old icon stayed.

As I shallowly understood from reading gnome-shell panel.js, panel icons are supposed to be created by gnome-shell, but somehow it just doesn't work now.

Appreciate if anyone can give help or pointers of what's going on and how to fix this.

Thanks.

All the best.
-arief