Re: Modem-/NetworkManager support for modems not using PPP

Hi Marius, sorry for the slow reply.

On 16 April 2011 14:21, Marius Kotsbak <marius kotsbak gmail com> wrote:
> There seems to be now quite a bit of modems appearing now that does not
> support the old method of using PPP protocol on the same tty device as
> the AT commands are sent, or it is not recommended for higher HSPA+ and
> LTE modems because of performance limitations of the PPP/tty layer.
> Those devices typically accept AT commands at one interface and use
> another interface for the network traffic (including first a DHCP query).
>
> One example is the Samsung GT-B3730 I'm currently developing drivers for:
>
> https://github.com/mkotsbak/Samsung-GT-B3730-linux-driver
>
> It seems to be the same case for LG VL600 4G (LTE):
>
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10589647&postcount=17
>
> https://github.com/balrog-kun/LG-VL600-utils
>
> The Ericsson Mobile Broadband Modules (I have an F5521gw based modem)
> seems to offer both the old ACM ports and support USB WCM / CDC NCM /
> CDC Ethernet protocols for higher performance:

I don't have any insight on ModemManager, but there are also Huawei
modems that support an ethernet interface and additionally both of the
4G modems offered by verizon (LG VL600 and Panatech UML290 -- the
latter also supports PPP, the former probably doesn't).  The Ericsson
MBM modems can do both things simultaneously: only one GPRS context
exposed as an ethernet interface and multiple PPP contexts (e.g. for
MMS) -- this is how oFono uses it.

Cheers