writing NetworkManager like application

Hello,

I am working on embedded application which needs to manage, configure, and
show status of network interfaces connectd (wifi & modems) including number
of packets sent/recieved.

I try to understand the way the network manager works becuase I can maybe
have some clues as to what I should do in the application I build. As far as
I understand NetworkManager does not retieve status such as number of
packets sent/recieved.

Meanwhile my start direction is to use AT commands for set/get modem, and
using ioctl with the known flags for set/get wifi devices information
(similiar to iwconfig, iwpriv).
I will thank you if you can point me some tips about how to write a kind of
network management application,

Best Regards,

Ran