WEP-key format

Hi,
I am writing a simple Python client (or module) which would create a new
wireless connection via NM D-Bus Interface. I have no problems with
uprotected networks and also with WPA protected networks. But I cannot
make it working with WEP. According to /var/log/messages there is a
problem with WEP key:
ifcfg-rh:
parsing /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-anaconda_wifi_test4 ...
ifcfg-rh:     error: Invalid WEP key length.

According to
http://www.mail-archive.com/networkmanager-list gnome org/msg07935.html
I repeat characters of passphrase to have 64 chars and then I use md5
hex digest.
e.g.:
passphrase: 'abcde'
repeated:
'abcdeabcdeabcdeabcdeabcdeabcdeabcdeabcdeabcdeabcdeabcdeabcdeabcd'