About PPP and modem initialization

Hi all.
I'm trying to use NetworkManager in order to bring a 3G (mobile
broadband) connection up automatically
(a so called "system connection").
It works pretty well apart of an annoying recurring request for a PIN.
But this is a just a minor thing.

What I need to do is to send a few extra AT commands to the USB modem
*before* the NM brings the
connection up and to retrieve the answers from those commands.
I've not been able to find where to hook to.
Any hint?
Thanks.

--
Vincenzo Romano at NotOrAnd Information Technologies
Software Hardware Networking Training Support Security