Re: Intel 4965AGN not working with NM

On Tuesday 07 of September 2010 10:24:53 Janek S. wrote:
> Jirka, thanks for pointing me to the nm-applet. Works great (although I had
> to google a little bit to make it remember wireless passwords). Anyway,
> I'm connected to the wireless using nm-applet right now.

Great.

> Still, it would be nice to make knetworkmanager work. It has two nice
> features: displays only networks I configured, not all of the available
> networks, and it has 'Close' button (NM-applet must be killed).

nm-applet shows all scanned networks. When you click on a WiFi network you
didn't configured before, a configuration is automatically created for you (with
DHCP settings, etc.).
As for 'Close' or 'Quit' button/menu item, it would be easy to add it.
However, maybe it's intentional omission to prevent newbies to shoot itself in
the foot? But as for me, I'm for adding that.

> First of the commands you gave me produces the following output:
>
> dbus-send --system --print-reply --type=method_call
> --dest='org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerUserSettings'
> '/org/freedesktop/NetworkManagerSettings'
> org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerSettings.ListConnections
> method return sender=:1.34 -> dest=:1.39 reply_serial=2
>    array [
>       object path "/org/freedesktop/NetworkManagerSettings/Connection/0"
>       object path "/org/freedesktop/NetworkManagerSettings/Connection/1"
>       object path "/org/freedesktop/NetworkManagerSettings/Connection/2"
>       object path "/org/freedesktop/NetworkManagerSettings/Connection/3"
>       object path "/org/freedesktop/NetworkManagerSettings/Connection/4"
>       object path "/org/freedesktop/NetworkManagerSettings/Connection/5"
>    ]

That shows, you have 6 user connections configured (i.e. connections managed by
knetworkmanager, as opposed to system connections manager by NetworkManager
daemon itself).

> The second command contained a syntax error, it took me some time to figure
> it out: it should be
> --dest='org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerSystemSettings', not
> --dest='org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerUserSettings'. BTW, I found
> qdbusviewer a helpful tool. So, the above command list connections 0-5,
> however I can only get settings for connections 1-4. An example is bellow:

Nope. It has to be 'org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerUserSettings' as we are
interested in user connections, managed by knetworkmanager. And the command
has to be run *while* knetworkmanager is running.

However, the connection paths listed by the first command should look like
"/org/freedesktop/NetworkManagerSettings/0"
instead of "/org/freedesktop/NetworkManagerSettings/Connection/0"

Now realizing that you run KDE3.5, the knetworkmanager would be probably
outdated and I'm not sure if it will run with the new NM.
What is your knetworkmanager version?

So, try this to list the connection details:
dbus-send --system --print-reply \
--dest='org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerUserSettings' \
'/org/freedesktop/NetworkManagerSettings/Connection/0' \
org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerSettings.Connection.GetSettings

qdbusviewer is definitely a good tool to browse D-Bus. You may also be
interested in a similar tool called 'd-feet' (it's written in python).

Jirka