Usage Monitoring and Bandwidth Allowance

Hi,

I have been using the Network Manager applet for a while now, but I feel
that it is missing some critical features. Firstly it has no way of
recording usage and secondly it has no way of distributing bandwidth.

The first one is similar to the functionality provided by the vnstat
tool I use currently, but it would be good it either integrate similar
functionality in to the Network Manager or make it a integrated gui for
vnstat.

The second idea I imagine is a little bit harder, but I hope you can see
where I am going with it. Applications could be given percentage shares
of the current network bandwidth, and/or minimum allowances. This would
allow users to download at the same time as surfing as the download
could be configured to just use the spare bandwidth.

Thanks,

Chris