Re: Where are Roaming on/off and 2G/3G preferences in NM 8.1 on Ubuntu?

On Thu, 2010-10-28 at 21:33 -0700, Paul Gentry wrote:
> I'm a Linux newbie, so I apologize for what seems like a pretty basic
> question.
>
> I'm running Ubuntu 10.10, nm-applet says it is 0.8.1.  Ubuntu software
> center says network manager is version 0.8.1
> +git.20100809t190028.290dc70-0ubuntu3 (network-manager-gnome), and
> network management framework-daemon is version 0.8.1
> +git.20100810t184654.ab580f4-0ubuntu2 (network-manager).
>
> I'm trying to find the feature called:
> "Support for restricting mobile broadband roaming behavior "
>
> Dan Williams mentioned in his blog that roaming could be turned on and
> off, and that 2G and 3G could be turned on or off.  He showed some
> screen-shots of a dialog labeled "Advanced", but I can't find that
> anywhere.
>
> Do I have to run Fedora instead?

It depends on when the snapshot was taken. I don't think you should have
to, since it looks like the Ubuntu snapshot was on August 9, 2010.  NM
0.8.1 was released in late July.  THe dialog you're looking for is in
nm-connection-editor's GSM page for each GSM connection, the same page
where you can change your APN or enter a PIN.

There isn't yet a roaming restriction UI for CDMA devices because on
most devices we simply cannot determine whether you're roaming or not,
because each manufacturer implements that behavior slightly differently,
and we haven't reverse-engineered all the methods yet.  There is
ModemManager roaming-notification support for CDMA devices from Novatel
and Sierra, and some Huawei devices (EC168C, EC121).