Re: Problems initializing the modem

Am Donnerstag, den 14.10.2010, 10:35 +0200 schrieb Dan Williams
<dcbw redhat com>:
> On Sat, 2010-10-09 at 10:39 +0200, van Schelve wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> I was able to reproduce a problem where I get many issue tickets from
>> our users in the field for.
>>
>> The problem from user side is that the system is offline after login
>> and they are not able to connect manually until they have used the
>> rfkill swich. We have a session autostart to bring up a 3g based
>> systemconnection in the case that the system is offline. If that fails
>> the user can start the connection by hand using nm-applet. But if the
>> modem-manager fails to initialize the modem the user cannot start the
>> connection because there is no entry in the list. This problem occurs
>> very often.
>>
>> I was able to reproduce the issue - which was very difficult - while
>> running modem-manager in debug mode and capture some logs and I really
>> hope they are useful.
>>
>> Some user reports that they run into this issue very often, some
>> others never have seen this. They all have the same components and
>> identical hardware / bios / firmware etc.
>>
>> The attached syslog.stripped only contains the NetworkManager
>> messages. There was no modem-manager logs in the original file maybe
>> because modem-manager was started with --debug option.
>
> The problem shown in the MM log where MM would not finish probing the
> modem due to the incoming CnS packets has been fixed in git now.  Thanks
> for the logs, they were quite necessary in diagnosing the issue and they
> made me add a bunch of testcases for stuff like this.
>
> The actual fix is:
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/ModemManager/ModemManager/commit/?id=dd8a061d28ecaf286bfba3bdbd2a495c45cfb4a4
>
> Any testing/confirmation that this fixes the modem detection issue would
> be appreciated, thanks!
>
> Dan

Hi Dan,

after some internal testing I have now modemmanager
1:0.4+git.20101014t221514.9fa20cd in production.
At the moment it looks much better but I cannot give a qualified
feedback from the field right now.

In general it would be fine to have the debug output from modemmanager
in syslog. This would help to
see the different debug in the right sequence.

HG