difference between "g_signal_emit and g_object_notify" and how to listen to these signals

Hi

I am reading the NetworkManager code as well as ModemManager code. I noticed that NetworkManager is using "g_object_notify" to send out the event signals, while ModemManager is using "g_signal_emit" to emit signals.

Anyone knows what's the difference between these two function call? In the Applet, if I want to listen to the signal sent from g_object_notify, what should I listen? If I want to listen to the signal sent from g_signal_emit, how can I implement it?

thanks

Xiaohong