Re: OT: 3G Modem - Any voice applications?

On 12/10/2010 13:32, Ma Begaj wrote:
> hi,
>
> off topic question:
> do you know linux applications which could be used to make voice calls
> through 3G modem
> and a headset. I am not talking about VOIP but about standard voice
> call like on your phone.
>
> gnome-phone-manager is probably able to send text messages through 3G
> modem but I was
> not able to find any voice call (dialer) for linux. windows had
> "dialer.exe" which was/is a
> program which allows a user to dial an outgoing voice call via his
> computer, if the modem
> supports both voice and data.
>
> there are a lot of ppp dialer for linux but only with data support
>
> any ideas?

Hi,

I don't think a general solution is possible.

I am not aware of any standard USB modem that supports voice
communication via the host computer. They don't have  a mechanism
(channel/codec) to get the voice data to the host computer and most
don't have voice enabled firmware.

Some modules (I know of Option modules) have pcm interfaces for the
voice data and a suitably configured host (hardware and software) can
make voice calls.

If you have an old PCcard modem with a headphone socket (such as some
older Option GPRS/3G cards and a few Huawei cards) then it is possible
to make voice calls using basic AT commands. The difference between
dialing a circuit switched modem data link and dialling a voice call is
just a semi-colon at the end of the telephone number.

Paul

http://www.pharscape.org
http://www.pharscape.org/forum