Re: signal strength

On Fri, 2010-10-08 at 20:37 +0100, Sergio Monteiro Basto wrote:
> Hi, I use fedora 13.x86_64 updated
>
> Happily I saw that nm-applet 0.8.1 with mobile broadband, show the
> strength of signal, but after some time, I notice that signal strength
> never change after initial read.
> I travel a lot ..., I would like to know,  how I know the strength
> signal , after some time of connection, and how/if can update nm-applet
> signal strength .

It depends on the modem you have.  Some modems only provide one serial
port, and that port is used for PPP when the data connection is active.
Which means that port is not available for signal strength reporting.
There are various mechanisms that we've got to work around that, but
they depend on your modem.  There are also some debugging things we can
do to isolate the issue:

http://live.gnome.org/NetworkManager/Debugging

under the "Debugging NetworkManager 0.8.x 3G connections" section.