UMTS modem disappeared after upgrading to Ubuntu 10.04

Dear all,

I had some problems with Ubuntu 9.10 (I had to reboot several times
before having the HSDPA modem working), I wrote to this list and you
suggested me that I should open a bug on Lunchpad. I did it:

It seemed that Ubuntu 10.04 had solved the problem. I upgraded to it
and now my HSDPA modem has completely disappeared. I can see there is
a modem in dmesg but both nm-tool and ifconfig doesn't show it at all.
So I'm moved from a bad situation to a far worst one.

I've asked for support on Ubuntu forum some weeks ago:

I got ZERO replies.

I wrote on Ubuntu Geek

http://ubuntugeek.com/forum/index.php/topic,241.0.html

and the only help I got was "reinstal eveything". Obviously, I'm not
going to reinstall everything, first of all because nobody can say for
certain that this will solve the problem, and because if I have to
install the OS from scratch I'm not going to install Ubuntu again, as
I had only troubles with UMTS.

What can I do before throwing my laptop out of the window :-) ?

I'm not subscribed to this list, if you reply please keep
massimiliano polito gmail com in CC. Thanks.

Ciao,
Max