Wireless disabled on startup

Dear List,

Just got a new laptop, a Lenovo IdeaPad S12.  After installing Fedora
12, everything is working smoothly, but I have an annoying problem with
NetworkManager: when it starts up, wireless networking is disabled.  I
have to manually enable it by right-clicking the icon.  This is very
annoying, since it takes a while for it to find the network, so this
adds to the boot->browsing time.

I'd like some clues on how NetworkManager decides upon the status of
wireless networking on startup, to see if I can work around this
problem. As a last resort, I'll have to write a hack that enables
wireless networking on startup using dbus (which should be possible, right?)

Regards,
David