Re: v0.7.998: doesn't see ra0

On Sun, 2010-03-14 at 15:59 -0700, Colin Brace wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> First, I'd like to report that NM works really well with my mobile broadband
> USB stick (a Huawei, from Vodafone).
>
> Second, I have Fedora 12 installed on an Asus Eee PC 1101HA, with the Ralink
> RT3090 wireless chipset.
>
> A driver for this chipset isn't in the kernel yet, so I downloaded the
> source from Ralink, compiled and installed it under kernel 2.6.32.9-70. It
> loads on boot time, works fine from the command line (ifconfig ra0...
> iwconfig... dhclient...).
>
> However, I can't get NM to see it.

This is usually because the driver you've got has bugs or isn't
correctly implemented.  Which is why we recommend drivers from the
kernel since out-of-kernel drivers are known to have quality problems.
One quick check here is to open up a terminal and "cd
-P /sys/class/net/ra0" and then type "ls".  Do you see a 'device' link
in the returned list?  It should look something like this:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    0 2010-03-15 16:02 device -> ../../../0000:02:00.0

If not, the driver is buggy.  Next, do "cd -P device" and do another
"ls".  You should see a 'driver' link there.  It'll look something like
this:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    0 2010-03-15 12:32 driver -> ../../../../bus/pci/drivers/iwlagn

Then "cd -P driver", and run "pwd".  If you don't get something like
"/sys/bus/pci/drivers/iwlagn" (of course you'll have the ralink driver
name, not 'iwlagn') then the driver is also buggy.

Dan