Re: service network restart stops Network when network Manager is active.

On Wednesday 10 of March 2010 06:31:14 Sergio Monteiro Basto wrote:
> Hello,
> I remember this problem some years ago ...
> It more for curiosity.
>
> On Fedora 12 .
> service network restart
>
> stop network and nm-appet , don't let me enable network.
>
> service NetworkManager restart
> restore network and nm-applet.
>
> but this behavior it a little annoying on remote servers :)
>
> Thanks,

I'm not sure I understand what your issue is.

'network' is basically legacy system used on Fedora to manage networks. It
manages devices described in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/
It has  nothing to do with NetworkManager.

NetworkManager is a newer service to manage networks and is meant to replace
'network'. (It can also work with /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ configurations
via ifcfg-rh plugin).

You should decide which one to use.

'restart' parameter to the service means 'stop' followed by 'start' in both
cases.

Sorry, if I didn't get the point; try to be more specific.

Jirka