Re: stable and portable "NM_CONTROLLED=no "?

On Wednesday 03 of March 2010 10:49:45 Marc Herbert wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I need a device with a known MAC address to be "unmanaged" at all
> times. For the moment I am successfully using ifcfg-rh +
> NM_CONTROLLED=no, but I am not very comfortable with this dependency on
> deprecated configuration files that NM is precisely meant to supersede.

Yes, NM_CONTROLLED=no works with ifcfg-rh plugin. I wouldn't call it
deprecated, it's just one of the plugins and is meant to work with Red Hat
distro config files.

Other plugins have its own "unmanaged" configuration.

> In ArchWiki (a surprisingly rich source of NM information), I found this
> alternative solution:
>
> /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf
> [keyfile]
> unmanaged-devices=/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/net_00_1f_11_01_06_55;/org/f
> ree...

Keyfile plugin uses "unmanaged-devices" option to list devices that should be
unmanaged.
For older HAL-dependent NM, the above described example should work.
For new NM (without HAL), unmaneged-devices are specified by its hardware
address. So use something like this:

[keyfile]
unmanaged-devices=mac:00:1e:65:30:d1:c4;mac:00:22:68:11:59:a1

(use lowercase in MAC)

> But I also read somewhere that NM has moved away from HAL. So this is
> yet another deprecated solution, isn't it?

Right.
HAL was used in 0.7. At present, NM uses udev and HAL dependency has been
removed.
(git commit c9067d8fedf6f6f2d530fd68bbfca7ce68638d38 from 11 June 2009)

> In brief, what would be the "right way" to unmanage a device? Thanks!
>
> Marc

Jirka